Monday, May 17, 2010

Vintage-A Peek into the Past

I wish I could sew, or had the patience for it. I love quilts, they are warm, handmade, and last forever. When they come up for auctions, I've never seen a good quality made one go at an undeserved price. They really seem to hold their value. They are a way for the designer to express themselves through sewing, and as I get older I appreciate the quality of handmade items more.

I stumbled across some vintage quilt magazines at an estate sale this last weekend. The one on the left is from 1977, and it's an interesting peek into the past. The "grandmother" is dressed in the mode of Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show, very prim and proper. I think the purpose is to show quilting being passed from one generation to another, but the little girl looks bored to me. I also love the title has "quilt gossip"- I wasn't aware this a big draw in 1977.

Collecting vintage items such as these are an interesting peek into another time, whether it be magazines or glass items. You can see how tastes and styles change. Some looks and items are timeless, why others can "date" a period. When you design your own space vintage items give you unique options for designing, as can handmade items. If you can sew your own quilt, you can design a bedroom around the color scheme of the quilt, using vintage and handmade items. You also have a very unique look, and I'll be jealous of your quilt and sewing abilities.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving me well wishes while I was sick.

I am so much better now and back to creating again. I've got about 5 different projects started! Definitely back to my old self.

xo Cathy

cabin + cub said...

I wish I could sew and quilt too! One day!!! ;)