Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Uses for Tupperware

Tupperware has been around since 1946, so most of us have come across it and remember our moms having it. Tupperware works great for food storage, whether it's a head of lettuce or a cake carrier. There are also glasses, salt and peppers, and other dishes available.

However, there is another use that I like using it for, organizaion and storage of non-food items. I was walking my children down to school on the same day that garbage was put on the curb. I noticed a plastic container that was flimsy and broken. It was on it's way to a landfill, and would remain there for awhile. I could tell it was a new plastic container by the design, and they didn't get a lot of use out of it. Re-using items such at Tupperware can help keep newer items out of landfills.

Tupperware was well made, solid plastic. I bought a box at an auction I attended, and some of it was in poor condition/scratched. However, I do have a work area downstairs, and one contaner holds my papers and thank you cards, one one my tape, and I re-used a cup for my pens. It doesn't matter what it looks like, it gets the job done.

Kids areas are another area that could always use some organization, the containers work well for cars or crayons. They were also made such bright colors, so they add a bit of style and uniqueness to a shelf. I realize that Tupperware won't suit all your storage needs, due to the smaller sizes, but if you have a craft area or smaller items that do need organizing, think Tupperware.

5 comments:

Sarah B. said...

They work great in my classroom too!

Cyber Hippie Gypsies said...

LOVE IT! You're so permaculture, baby!

Additionsstyle said...

What a great idea, I am sure my mom still has a huge collection of Tupperware, she would love these ideas.

Kawartha Beads said...

I LOVE tupperware! It definately stands the test of time and has so many great uses!

Valerie (Discerningchichi) said...

Oooh....I still have a tupperware bowl (had it for about 15 years I think...if not longer) and definately remember them from my childhood and tupperware parties :)