Sunday, May 1, 2022

Emil Cahoy Pottery Horse Head Bookends

Emil Cahoy lived in South Dakota and made pottery from clay found on his farm. If you've never come across his pieces, they are beautiful, with lovely swirls. He had skill, and his pieces reflect this in looks and quality. I'm fortunate to have two rare items done by him, they are horse head bookends. There was a rural auctioneer the worked in the northern part of Nebraska. I loved attending his auctions, as I found some great deals. Unfortunately, he passed away, but after his estate was settled he had an auction that includes pieces from his collection. That's when I came across these two items, being an auctioneer, he did have first "dibs."
If you look on the internet for horse head bookends done by Cahoy, there is only one listing available on a WorthPoint page. It provides more information on Emil Cahooy, so it's worth a look. I'm glad to have these two rare pieces in my collection.

No comments: