Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Doing Vintage Research on New Items

Every vintage dealer has areas they are familiar with, and areas where they have no clue. I grew up in a rural environment, so I lean towards the rusty, metal, rustic items. Porcelain?-not a strength of mine. Growing up they were around, but I considered them "old lady" items and would play with my toys or in the outside environment. That's why I was stumped when I came across these items.
We recently had an auction of my mom's items, which I really should do a post about now that I'm thinking of it. This was the first time I was on the seller's end, and I was wishing there were no bargains, I ended up buy a box of figurines that no one wanted and these were included. At first glance, due to the jasperware center, I assumed they were Wedgewood. They weren't marked however, so I suspected they were older.
There was some information on the back written in pencil with a question mark. I assumed it came from my mom. When I did a search for Vater Porcelain the work was more whimsical and figural, so that was a dead end. I also did some general searching on the internet, another dead end
At some point, I had a list it, so I did. Sometimes you can't find everything about an item. If you underprice it oh well, so long as you make a profit you are fine, and the buyer is happy with a bargain. Whoever ends up with this item will enjoy it.

No comments: