Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shawnee Miniatures

Looking for a bit of vintage decor, but don't have much room? May I suggest Shawnee Pottery Miniatures. They started production in the late 30s and lasted through the 40s. The miniatures come is a variety of themes, from small vases to the Puppy Dog at the left. They were used as party favors to aquarium ornaments, and could be bought in packages.

Since these are older items, paint loss and small chips are common. Finding one in true mint condition is rare. As with most Shawnee pieces, if there is gold on them they are worth more. The aren't marked Shawnee, they were marked USA or left blank. The USA mark was used by other pottery companies, not just Shawnee.

The size ranges from 3/4" to 3 1/4." Demand isn't as popular as it once was, but I wouldn't say they are easily found either. Keep your eyes out, as some people don't know they are Shawnee. Even if you're not a Shawnee collector, their cuteness and smallness can work well for decorating tight places.

3 comments:

Sarah B. said...

Thanks for the tip! It's nice to know what to keep an eye out for when I'm at thrift stores and flea markets ;)

Additionsstyle said...

Thanks for sharing the info for finding these cute little pices of art. The little guy in your picutes is super cute.

Cynthia said...

I love Shawnee! I think it's the airbrushed look I find so attractive. My favorite piece is a head vase I own -- it has numerous chips but I still just love her!