Sunday, September 19, 2010

Country Auction

Once upon a time, someone mentioned that vintage sellers didn't work as hard as people who sell handmade because they don't put as much time in it. I'm guessing they've never been to a country auction. I attended one yesterday, the family had been there for four generations, but the place had been sold and it was time to move some very old items. There was a bunch of it I had to sit through, and as one woman said "we used our antiques," so mint condition wasn't an option. This is to be expected though, mint condition is a rarity with vintage, especially since some of the items dated from the early 1900s.

I got up in the morning, and it was cold and raining. It rained throughout the day, but I had my fingerless gloves from HamsaHealing, plus a jacket and coat because I am a bit of cold-weather weenie. The auction was at the farm in an out-building, so it could have been worse. You park along the road and walk-up, my feet got a little wet and muddy by the time I was done.

More rain. Most auctions have a friendly vibe to them, even if you're being out-bid. I sat next to one lady who took some of the items that no one was bidding on. She turned to me and said "I'm nuts." We both had a good laugh and I helped her move some our her items to another area, as space was limited.

I wish I could re-do furniture. Farm furniture is usually older and quality made, it just needs to be refreshed. Unfortunately, it's not a strength of mine. Maybe someday I'll have the room to buy it then re-sell it to people who can give it new life.

There were a lot of quilts and older linens. I don't know much about then, I think that's why I like reading the blog A Passion for Vintage Textiles. She knows her stuff and I'm always learning something. As a general rule, quilts hold their value. I have yet to go to an auction where they are going "cheap." I think every generation appreciates the quality and beauty of quilts.


All farm houses have to have a friendly dog, and this was no exception. His name was Clay, and even though he was wet I had to pet him. I have to admit, I gave him a french-fry. He wasn't too proud to beg, nice dog.


I made it through the auction, it was a full-day and time to go home. Sometimes with auctions if you can out-last some of your fellow-bidders you can get better deals. I had a good time and will be listing some of the items on my Zibbet and Etsy web-site as time allows. I hope everyone had a nice weekend, but hopefully yours was warmer with less rain.

4 comments:

Cyber Hippie Gypsies said...

Hey Dana!

Thanks so much for mentioning us!

Those quilts are so amazing! It would be so cool to go through an old farm house like that.

And I think that you vintage sellers are great! You are saving the Earth!

Thanks!
Margie

Sarah B. said...

Are you kidding? Vintage sellers seem to have to do a lot of research and a lot of weeding through crap :). Glad you got some good finds and that you survived the cold!

Jodi Ulschmid said...

Oh fun!...other then the cold. Not a fan of that. But the chairs and quilt look amazing. Wish I would have been to that one. First year I haven't been to an auction and I miss it.
My husband likes to get old tools. They are better made but they do take quite a bit of work to get them in good shape again. You're right, its not quick and easy to sell vintage.

fabriquefantastique said...

oh,,Mod, thanks for the mention. Couldn't agree more about the work involved....specially the laundering of all those quilts and linens. My washing line and soaking tub is constantly full.